Pinhole Camera

Welcome, this is how i made my pinhole camera, what i used, what i would do different next time and other useful information.







Thursday 16 September 2010

Pinhole Camera


 

I brought in a Pringles tube to the college to use as my pinhole camera. I then marked a square near the centre of the tube, with an hb pencil. Then I cut out the hole with a pen knife.
I then painted the inside of the tube matt black, I had to use a long paintbrush otherwise I could not reach the bottom. Then I had to dry the paint which was very difficult, I had to go into the toilets because the hand dryer was better in the toilets.
I then was giving a piece of tin foil which is going to be the lens; the lens captures the light from the subject and brings it to focus on the film paper. I cut out the tin foil and made it the right size for the hole, and I was given a pair of scissors so I could straighten out the foil. I stuck the foil over the hole with same gaffer tape so it would secure the lens on the tube.
A flap (shutter) was added to my tube so when I would finish the picture I would place it over the foil so no light would enter. The shutter controls the length of the time that the light hits the recording surface. and the last step of making my Pinhole camera was I got a pin and made a hole in the centre of the foil this is were the light enters onto the photographic paper to make image, this is known as the aperture, the size of the aperture and the brightness of the scene controls the amount of light that enters the camera during the period of time.
Once my tube was complete and dry I entered the dark room, and got some photographic paper and placed it in my tube (making sure the shiny side was facing the lens), then to make sure no light would enter I got some card and placed it over the top of the tube and tied elastic band around it.
Everything was ready so I went down into the Atrim and placed my camera on one of the seats and waited for 8 minutes (that was the time we worked out using f stops this was the sum- 72/0.8=f-90) once 8 minutes had gone I then went upstairs into the dark room and placed my photographic paper in the first chemical for 30 seconds to a minute, then transferred it into some water for 20 seconds and then into the last chemical for 30 seconds.
Once my fist picture was in the dark room drying out, I did the same process but did a picture outside and only had to leave it for 75 seconds (1 minute 15 seconds) and then repeated the process in the dark room, once both pictures were dry I put them into a tray and brought them into the class room so I could get my first proper look.
A couple of things went wrong during my pinhole camera development, one being the paint in my tube did not dry, and I was drying my tube for 30 minutes to 45 minutes. The other problem I had was one of my pictures came out completely black this was because it was underexposed.

The things I would change would be the actual camera body, I used a Pringles tube but found it hard to paint it and drying was a nightmare, also because of the shape of the camera (circle) the picture curved so all the lines went dodgy so using a flat surface would make the picture more clearer. Another thing I would change would be the positioning of the camera, in the Atrim I would of liked to of taken a aerial image instead of a wide shot because I got a lot of people walking past which made the picture blur a bit, when if it is aerial it would focus more on the detail in the Atrim not the people walking past.
The purpose of using a pinhole camera is to show photographers (me) how images are made by just using light.
At the end of the making of the camera and producing the pictures I ended up with two really good photos of the Atrim and the college car park.
I also researched other pinhole camera websites and discovered how different they all are compared to mine, they are different to mine because there was just pictures but hardly any writing telling other people how they done it, when I did more writing and there are only a couple of images, the other artists have a lot of photos and more experience then me but I feel I did well in how I did my first pinhole camera images.
Photography started within the pinhole camera, and then in 1604 Johannes Kepler added a lens and made the camera easier to move around. Then an English scientist Robert Boyle made a portable camera obscure in the 1660's. The first camera obscure that was small and portable enough for a simple use was built by Johann Zhan in 1685. At this time there was no way to save the images produced by these cameras apart from finding them within the camera. However in 1724, Johann Heinrich Schultz discovered that a silver and chalk mixture darkens under exposure to light. The first permanent photograph was made in 1826 by Joseph Nicephore Niepce using a sliding wooden box camera. The development of the wet plate process by Frederick Scott Archer in 1850 cut exposure times a lot, but required photographers to get ready and develop their glass plates on the spot, usually in a darkroom. The first colour photograph was made by James Clerk Maxwell, with the help of Thomas Sutton; in 1861.The electronic video camera was invented in the 1920s, starting a line of development that eventually came in digital cameras, which came in the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment